Norton rotary

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Norton rotary
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (Mere)
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 17:28:23 -0500
I received a phone call this afternoon from a gentleman with an odd
request.  He was put on to me by another friend who knows that I love a
challenge.

He has purchased an aircraft with a Norton rotary engine.  I believe the
engine is one that was developed for use in the last Norton motorcycles.
The engine is a model AE100R which is a twin rotor, water-cooled 100 hp
wankel type.

While I realize that we are interested in LBCs, many of us have more than a
passing interest in and acquaintance with British bikes.  His question
refers to his need for information about the engine.  He has nothing.  I
realize that it's a bit unusual to buy a machine while knowing nothing
about it but this is intriguing.

I believe that Norton has failed financially and I believe that the remains
was bought by Nelson Skalbania who is attempting at present to avoid jail
on another matter.  Is there anything left?  Is there presently an interest
in these Norton engines?  Does any support organization exist for the bikes
and their parts?  These machines were manufactured until very recently and
were used extensively by the British Police.  Can anyone help me find
information?  Any hints would be appreciated.

John McEwen