Re: What does USR X2 stand for ?

To: John McEwen <mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca>
Subject: Re: What does USR X2 stand for ?
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 08:50:45 -0600
John McEwen wrote:

> Kai, you are young and keen.  The computer is your hobby.  Find a way to
> make the computer as unobtrusive as the toaster, while allowing computer
> nerds to play all day if they wish.  Just don't let them drive on my
> highway or use jargon when I want to find out why a message I sent didn't
> get there.
>
> The foregoing was not an attempt to belittle you Kai, in any way.  It is
> simply my personal opinion brought on by an afternoon jousting on the
> freeway with cars filled with incompetents.  I believe that we must
> exercise a bit more choice over the direction of our technology before we
> cannot funtion legally or intellectually without it.
>
> John McEwen

While I understand and agree with some of John's argument, I must
profess that as a member of the younger generation computers are not all
that hard.  I was able to put together a superb presentation using
Microsoft Powerpoint(presentation software) in a matter of minutes.
It's easy for those of us to grew up with computers as toys.  For those
of you who never had computers until you were more mature, I have one
suggestion: sit down at your computer and play with it.  Try things
out.  I've helped out a lot of older people with computers, and their
first and only fear is of the computer.  You've got to experiment.  Much
like many of you who tinker with your cars, you must tinker with your
computer.  Five years ago, I had no idea how the ignition system
worked.  Some neighbors and my dad taught me everything I know.  Same
applies to computers.  It's had to figure out things at first.  Grab
your 6 year old son or daughter and tell them to teach you how to use a
computer.  I venture to guess they know a lot about computers.

Many of my co-workers are dumbfounded by my ability to use computers.
It's expected here at Georgia Tech.  It saves time, saves money, and it
saves a lot of busy work.  I like that.  It gives my more time to work
on my two MGs.  Lord knows I need it.

Jay

Jurgen Hartwig
uucp:     ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt0003a
Internet: gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu