Re: Wheel and Master Cylinders

To: stevet@hbp.com
Subject: Re: Wheel and Master Cylinders
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 01:27:59 EST
On Sat, 15 Mar 1997 15:30:32 -0500 stevet@hbp.com (Steve Tritle) writes:

>Try White Post Restorations in Virginia. They are the best. They
resleaved all my TD cylinders and guarantee them for life.

I've seen cylinders from White Post and from Apple sleeved in brass.  A
friend had a bad experience with a TD master cylinder with a brass
sleeve.  The brass is very soft, don't know how well they hold up for
wear, but he found out the hard way that they are very easy to scratch.
The piston had a small burr on it, and when he pushed it down the bore he
got a large scratch in the brass.  If you touch the brass with a hone you
get a rougher surface than may want, and the brass can gall up on the
hone if your not using the right honing fluid.  We never did get that one
to seal properly, think there may have been a leak between the sleeve and
the iron casting.

I have also seen a master cylinder with a stainless steel sleeve which
impressed me very much.  Unfortunately I can't recall who did the work.
Does anyone know who will install stainless steel sleeves in a master
cylinder?

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA