Re: Body Shop Trouble in Indiana

To: "Robert J. Donahue" <rdonahue@holli.com>
Subject: Re: Body Shop Trouble in Indiana
From: Geoff Love <engconn@infi.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 10:36:21 -0500
Robert J. Donahue wrote:

> Does anyone in the Indianapolis area know what has happened to Floyd's Body
> Shop? My MGB is one year over due, the place is locked up tight and I am no
> longer able to contact the proprietor. I understand that, short of
> kidnapping your own car, only a court action can retrieve your property
> under these circumstances. Any free legal advice? I promise not to make any
> more lawyer jokes.
>
> P.S. I wouldn't have posted this on the open list, but I am desperate. If
> Floyd finally comes through I will let everyone know.
>
> Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s
> rdonahue@holli.com
> 53 MG-TD under DIY restoration
> 71 MGB still in shop, 17 months and counting

Bob: Sorry to hear of your nasty experience.  This happened to a friend
of mine in Minnesota.  He left his car at a body shop recommended by one
or two of his fellow Jaguar club members, and paid $2000 up front for
work.  Nothing happened.  The shop got locked up and the man took the
$2000. The legal process apparently could not help because, for a while,
the man had disappeared. After a couple of years, he finally got the
three other members of his local Jaguar club, who were in the same
position, to break into the garage, with the local sherrif looking on.
They all had the correct papers showing them to be the legal owners of
their cars which were still inside the shop. The man did not return
their deposits, and I understand, had a visit from some big men one dark
night later, when he reappeared.

I am not suggesting you take the law into your own hands, so check your
legal position carefully before attempting anything as drastic as this.

Geoff Love, The English Connection