Rust cures

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, british-cars-pre-war@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Rust cures
From: Bill Harkins <bharkins@tfb.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 22:30:26 -0800
There are several scientific types on the list that I'm sure can answer
these questions on that ole debil, rust. I am in the stripping and metal
prep stage of an MGTC restoration. There is some surface rust on some of
the panels such as body tub and doors which cannot be easily bead
blasted. I have used chemical paint stripper for the paint, navel jelly
for the rust and ground the hard to get areas of rust. Where the nails
fasten the metal to the wood, there is still a bit of rust around the
nails.

My question is, how to arrest the action of the rust so that it will not
affect the primer and paint finish? Most of these areas are in an area
not seen, ie, covered by upholstery panels, but I don't want a problem a
few months after the project is completed. If there is a problem in 20
years, that's OK.

Second question is how much rust is "too much"? If there are holes in
metal ("lace underwear") or structural loss, obviously that is too much
and new metal must be installed. I don't have that problem - it's only a
question of whether the slight residual rust will affect the paint and
at what point in time.

Incidentally, someone put the address of the woodworking list up
<woodworking@theoak.com>. I sent a message (without being a member)
regarding preservation of ash in the body tub and got several very
detailed replies as well as general enthusiasm for the old MGs. Ain't
the Internet great?

Bill Harkins
Fallbrook, CA