Re: convertible top install

To: glen christian <glen.christian@JUNO.COM>
Subject: Re: convertible top install
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 21:49:53 -0800 (PST)
Be advised that the surrounding temperature at the time of installation is
very important.  If you install it on a nice day and you get it nice and
taut, you might not be able to put the top up when it is really cold.  I
think it is a little bit of a decision if it is more important to you not
to have any wrinkles in the top or to be able to put up the top in really
cold weather.
Mine has wrinkles and is still a b**** to put up in the cold.  This is due
to a very stiff rail to windshield frame seal though.
Does anyone have a source for a nice soft seal?

Ulix
67 Sprite with engine and 5-speed on workbench

On Wed, 19 Mar 1997, glen christian wrote:

> howdy folks,
>       well, i am about to put a new top on my midget. i've cleaned up
> the header rail and emptied out all the old rivet heads (i always
> wondered what was rattling around in there). once i throw a coat of paint
> on the rail, it will be ready for the new top. the directions make it
> sound so easy. simply locate the chalk line on the material with the edge
> of the header, fold it over and rivit it under the aluminum channel for
> the sealing strip. i've got a feeling though it's gonna be more
> complicated then that though. i'm afraid once i line it up and rivit it
> together there may be some sag in the material or something despite the
> convenient chalk line. this is a removable convertible top by the way,
> not the folding type. does anyone have any hints or suggestions before i
> tackle this project.
>
> '66 mg
> Glen Christian
> Mechanical Engineer Graduate in search of Work
> glen.christian@juno.com

                                                           '67 Sprite