SB 42 (California)

To: mgs%autox.team.net@aphub.aerojetpd.com
Subject: SB 42 (California)
From: KILE_PAUL@aphub.aerojetpd.com (Paul D Kile)
Date: 21 Mar 97 15:58:04 PST
Just an update here on SB 42, the California Senate Bill that
attempts to create a 25-year-old exemption from smog checks.

For you out-of-staters, here in California we have a biennial smog
check for any car 1966 model year or newer.  These are tough tests,
requiring all original smog equipment to be intact, combined with a
high and low speed tailpipe sniffer test.  SB 42 would allow any car
25 years old or older to be exempt from the smog check program.

The latest info shows that it has passed another Senate Committee
vote 8-1 in favor.  Now it's on to a third reading.  It seems to have
a good chance so far.

There are at least 30 car clubs and organizations and over 7,000
individual petitions in favor of it so far.  Even Jay Leno has come
out in favor of it, saying that it would promote the old car hobby.

Our "friends" the California Air Resources Board are the only
organization to come out against SB 42 so far (big surprise!).  They
did say, however, that they would remove their opposition to the bill
if the exempt status were rolled back to a 30-year-old or older
limit.

Now is the time to write in support of this bill, and to keep the 25
year limit.  I know other states have a 10 year limit, but that is
too much to ever hope for here in California.

Safety Fast, PK

Paul D. Kile

kile_paul@aphub.aerojetpd.com

(916) 355-5162