thermostats

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: thermostats
From: Ricko595@aol.com
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 04:12:07 -0500 (EST)
I just changed the thermostat on my 1978 B because the DPO had exchanged the
plastic filler cap on the housing with a steel pipe plug which was tightened
with extreme force. This necessitated me removing the housing and heating
everything up to remove the plug. The thermostat has a little (less than a
quarter inch) float or bulb off to one side. It appears to close if coolant
flow comes up from below and open if the coolant flows from above. What is
the purpose of this? It's stamped "Made in England" so I assume it is OE. Any
guesses? The replacement from VB doesn't have this feature.