Re: Cold Red Light et al et al

To: ragthyme@fls.infi.net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Cold Red Light et al et al
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 10:00:32 -0500 (EST)

<< Hopefully it's not an external ballast resistor, so the coil doesn't
 go 'pop' on me.

 Any ideas what running two ballast resistors on a coil
 would do? If I'm buying a coil with a resistor built-in, would having
 a second one cause problems?

>From your description of how it is connected, it is definately NOT a ballast
resister. A ballast resister is connected in series with the power feed from
the ignition switch to the coil, and is bypassed in the start position. Using
two resisters would not be good. If wired in series, the coil would not get
enough voltage during normal running, and the engine would likely miss. In
parallel, The coil would recieve too much voltage, and might be damaged,
although the car would run fine til the coil failed. Whether to use a
resister or not is determined by the type of coil you use. Be sure to follow
the manufacturers directions.

<<Anyone want to have a go at what sort of pandemic problems would arise
from not having a ground strap atall? I'd love to match that list up
with symptoms I've had and see just how bad this is. :)

This one is easy: To illustrate the effects of not having a ground strap at
all, just remove the battery. The effect is the same.

<<Consensus on the blue cannister thingy is that it's a noise supressor
for a 70's vintage car radio.  Since Rags doesn't have any radio atall,
I'll likely remove it.  I may keep it handy in case I want a radio at
some point, however.

You probably will never need this. Most modern radios come with built-in
noise suppression, or one is included with the radio. However, if you are
going to use a vintage radio, you may need something like this. Another
possibility is that you are not using resister spark plug wires. If so, not
only will your radio be noisy, so will every other radio around you!

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN