Re: Clutch -Reply

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Clutch -Reply
From: Michael Hartwig <mhartwig@odin.cbu.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 20:58:39 -0600
At 07:32 AM 3/26/97 -0500, you wrote:

>I just had a nice top down drive in the rain and I'm half frozen.  My 75 B
>has been resting in a warm garage since October.  It was out for a couple
>of runs 1 in Jan and the other in Feb.  Today it started and ran well for a
>few miles then came up with a new problem. At first it felt like my clutch
>had disengaged. Then the car began surging, but only under light or no
>throttle. It idled well and acceleration was strong.  The clutch was
>replaced last year and only has about 1500 miles on it. I stopped to let a
>friend out and then found that the car had no reverse, clutch out , nothing
>, shift to 1st and all is well, reverse nothing. I put the clutch in and
>ran through the gears, then back in reverse and all is well. I drove home
>and it ran fine as long as I kept the throttle on. Coasting or steady
>throttle it surges with a 2-3oo rpm drop noted on the tach. Once in the
>garage I tried reverse and it is gone again.  Can anyone suggest what the
>problem is ?? Thanks for any help.

I had a similar problem with my '70 B in which the clutch was shot when I
bought it.  It would not shift into reverse because the clutch was messed
up.  I was able to get it into the forward gears after I was rolling, since
the laygear(i think that is right) was turning at nearly the same rpm as
the engine.  Try shifting into second while rolling and then come to a
stop.  Then try to shift into reverse.  If it does so fine then I might be
inclined to think it's a bad clutch or hydrualics.  Reason being is that if
you're in second gear, all the gears line up the same as when you're in
reverse.
You may not be getting enough travel.  Check your slave cylinder for
travel.  I think mine travels approximately 1/4-1/2" on the newly rebuilt
system, but I might be wrong.  Nevertheless, you should get noticeable
travel.
Can you shift into reverse when you're car is not running? Just curious.

Jay