FW: Where to start?

To: mgs
Subject: FW: Where to start?
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 10:40:55 -0700 (MST)
[BOUNCE mgs@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from [Dennis & Stephanie
Littrell <dlittrel@northernnet.com>]]

     Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 11:16:32 -0600
     From: Dennis & Stephanie Littrell <dlittrel@northernnet.com>
     Subject: Where to start?

Okay, I am the "dimbulb" of whom they speak (but I sure am having fun!). I
checked the newbie FAQ, and the answer wasn't there, and I missed it the
first time around. Symptoms: car backfires upon shifting, timing mark jumps
all over the place. Car: '73 B, emissions intact, probably original
(unrebuilt) distributor, single row timing gears. Rx: timing gears worn?
Distributor shaft/bearings worn? Emissions equipment to blame? Where do I
start?

TIA,

Dennis
'73 B Roadster "Shirley Valentine"