FW: MGB Cylinder Head Cooling

To: mgs
Subject: FW: MGB Cylinder Head Cooling
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 00:08:58 -0700 (MST)
[BOUNCE mgs@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from
[jminor10037@www1.utech.net (John Minor)]]

     From: jminor10037@www1.utech.net (John Minor)
     Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 12:32:52 +0000
     Subject: MGB Cylinder Head Cooling

I've taken the head off my 1972 MGB and was about to reinstall a new
head gasket when I noticed holes in the head gasket which line up with
a water jacket hole in the head, but  which don't have corresponding
holes in the block.  There appear to be "plugs" in the block were
these holes would presumably go into water jackets.  If one were to
view the block from the top, these plugs are symmetrical with water
jackets in the block and head.  I don't have overheating problems, but
I would like to keep the combustion chambers as cool as possible.
Does anyone have any experience with drilling these "plugs" in the
block to reach a water jacket?  If so, are there any pitfalls? Thanks

John
75 MGB Roadster / 69 MGC GT