Generator, other questions

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Generator, other questions
From: William Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 13:19:26 -0600
My poor, poor car!  I spent last night fixing mistakes and other
miscellaneous stuff.

I have the front suspension together and correct now that I have reversed
the upper trunnions.  All I have to do is put on the rack boots, screw the
tie rods into the tie rod ends, and relube the rack and I will be done up
there.  I also need to replace the steering column u-joint.

During the fan belt replacement fiasco, I removed my generator.  I noticed
that the front bearing was pretty loose (.020 inch radial play) and that
the brushes were about gone.  I am sure that it is the original generator
(MG red paint in same condition as engine) and I would like to keep it if I
could.  Has anyone replaced the bearings and brushes?  They aren't that
expensive but I don't want to rent bearing pullers or anything.  Anyone
willing to share their experience would be appreciated.  Questions include:
 How do I pull the bearings?  Do I have to solder on the brushes?  Will I
need new Rivets, felts, washers, etc?  Is the pulley / fan pressed on?

Now that I have replaced the upper felt bushing on the steering column, It
makes noise when I turn the wheel.  Any suggestions?  I cleaned some rust
off the column with sandpaper but maybe I should go back with a finer grit.

I will be replacing the flex hose on my left front brake.  I have done this
on other cars but any gatchya's particular to MGA's would be nice to know.

The radiator hoses VB sent me look suspiciously like the hose I bought for
my Spit**** some years back.  That hose lasted 10 minutes before it blew up
like a balloon and less than a year before it split open.  Was my less than
Triumphal (pun intended) experience a fluke or should I expect the same
from these hoses?  Is there a better place to buy them?

Thanks to everyone for their help in the past and in the future
Bill Eastman
61 MGA