Re: cooling problems

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: cooling problems
From: miker15@juno.com (MICHAEL J ROBSON)
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 21:38:37 EST
After yesterdays jaunt to the golf curse and about another 80-90 miles
today I suppose i have put around 300 miles on the 72B in the last week.
This morning i noticed that the temp guage was shwing a hair over normal
- very slight, but definitely warmer than the car usually runs. also, the
oil pressure had dropped from about 55 to about 40-45 whilst running and
from about 45-50 to 25 when idling.Initially i put this down to it being
a warm day and vowed to change the stat tmorrow.
Then came the smell......................
The unmistakable aroma of warm rubber and antifreeze - I went hope and
let the car col, on checking the rad, the level was low and took about
two pints - i looked over the  hoses, nothing obvious then started the
engine and noticed that the water in the rad didnt move - i.e.does not
seem t be circulating.
I drove the car for a few miles to reheat it and the temp returned to
very slightly above normal and the smell also returned.
On returning home, i noticed a pool of oil from the earlier stay - more
than usual. I havnt looked into this one yet.

Anyone regognise this? - i think i probably need a flush but am concerned
there may be something more sinister around the corner. i still have a
slight noise in the lower depths but the car is running better than at
any time - i mean just WONDERFULLY!
and we all know what happens when things get too good.

all sensible procedures will be copied down and

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
72 roadster