Re: smog tests are a joke.

To: Ryan Harrell <cyborne@murlin.com>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: smog tests are a joke.
From: Jay Quinn <jpquinn@cyberramp.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 1997 08:22:19 -0600
Here is a list of the things I know to do if you want to pass:

1.  Change oil and oil filter. (This helps tremedously, the one signle
thing you can do to make it pass)  (I'll bet synthetic oil will do the best
job. No flames please)

2. Burn 93 Octane or the highest oxygenated fuel you can find. (The more
oxygenated/octane means less hydrocarbons in your exhaust)

3.  Retard the timing.  (This makes for the fuel to be burnt more during
each burn stroke, thus less bad things in exhaust )

4.  Up the idol just under 1300 RPMs (The smog test killer is low idol
emmissions.  As the idol goes up, the cadillac conversion :) platinum beads
begin to stir thus eliminating the bad things from your exhaust which don't
happen or happen as much when idoling at 700 or 900 RPM.  Anything 1300 or
over 1300 RPM isn't considered low idol so make it just under.  Also just
turn on the A/C.  This is only good is you have a catalytic convertor though.)

11 months ago I had trouble getting my truck to pass and the guy worked
with me and my truck to make it pass and those are all the little tricks he
told me about.  Next month my trucks due again.  You bet I'll do the 4
steps to make it pass without a hitch.

So yes, smog tests are a joke as long as you know what to do or know
someone who will just slap a sticker on for you.  Otherwise it's a pain in
the ass and some of those inspection guys aren't to nice or to helpful to
deal with.