Re: Speed Limits

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Speed Limits
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 11:42:30 -0700
>p.s. anyone tried Montana's no limit?  I wonder what the state patrol
>feels is reckless?

As the list's Montana resident, I can tell you that during the daytime you
can cruise in the low 80s with no problem. But once you get 85+ (in some
areas), you risk getting pulled over.

At night though, there is a 65 mph speed limit. I'm not sure how regulated
this is. Speeding at night has its own risks due to the presence of animals
(deer, elk, moose, bear) on the road.

I had doubts about the speeding law since it was up to the discretion of
the highway patrol as to what constitutes "reasonable and prudent." Knowing
that Wyoming has 75mph as the speed limit, I figured that the cops had to
allow at least that. And so far, enforcement of the law has been
reasonable. So long as you aren't really hauling ass, you should be okay.

Montana  is one of the closest states to freedom that I have lived in -
reasonable speed enforcement, no smog control, and no state auto inspections.

David