Re: Cantankerous old cars, British quality

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Cantankerous old cars, British quality
From: Kelvin Dodd <kdodd@West.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 1997 14:03:29 -0800
Bill:
        Your comments about the fit of parts on the MGA had some good
points, yet also some bad points. First, I do admire your perserverance
and spirit.  In many cases the factory did do a lot of hand fitting of
parts, true.  But many problems today are due to tolerance drift and
just plain shoddiness and lack of care.  Ok, that said.  What can the
LBC owners of the world do.  Don't get angry, don't label a part "a
piece of s***".  Write down, in detail the problem you are having.  Then
send by either e-mail or snail the information to the vendor.

        There are many reasons for parts not fitting.  In the case of
this u-joint, I know of at least 3 different brands.  The differences
are really small.  But they make all the difference in fitting.
Nominally all the joints are the same size.  To keep prices competitive,
the purchaser tends to buy the cheapest part that will fit.  Emphasis on
those last 3 words.  Without feedback, the purchaser will continue to
buy defective parts blissfully ignorant of the curses ringing out from
owner's garages.  Trying to keep parts available for our little friends
is a difficult, frustrating job.  Just when you find a source, someone
junks the tooling.  Just when you get a design right, the "soft" tooling
starts to wear out.  How many of us have found the perfect machine shop,
that gets everything just so?  Then you go back a month later and the
place is deluged with orders and quality went out the window.  Imagine
that kind of problem on an international scale dealing with small batch
manufacturing plants.  Anyways, the point is if you have a problem, let
the vender know, preferably in writing.  Many times the problem is known
and they can offer a solution.

        In other news.  Regarding MGB radiator hoses.
Moss motors has access to the original Dunlop GRH305 upper/lower
radiator hoses for the earli'ish car.  Unipart cranked the price into
the stupid range, but for those who want the real thing (money where
mouth is :) ask for a GRH305 to be transferred in.  The repro hose Moss
sells does look ok, I'm putting one on my BGT for a long term test.

        More news.  BHA5292 ignition electrical switch for MGB/Midget
73-80.  The little black one, is now being repro'd and on the shelf.  I
tried the pre-production sample and it worked well.  I'm keeping my
fingers crossed that it stays that way in production.  Moss #263-690

Kelvin.