Re: How do I get my car back?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: How do I get my car back?
From: rdonahue@holli.com (Robert J. Donahue)
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 20:49:47 -0700 (MST)
>At 08:12 PM 3/30/97 -0500, James A. Dirmeyer wrote:
>>Okay here's the problem.  I took my wife's 76B into the body shop at the
>>beginning of November.  Work to be done was replacing the floor panels,
>>repair a few dents, and a nice paint job.  I had stripped the car
>>completely down in order to make the paint job easier.  We were told that
>>the job would take about 3 weeks.  5 months later the car is just primered
>>and still needs a little more hand work before painting.  It seems that the
>>shop has been busy with insurance work and my car gets worked on maybe a
>>few hours out of the week if that.  I haven't complained yet but I stop by
>>occasionally to see the progress when I'm in the area.  Several times the
>>owner has told me that he wishes he hadn't taken on the job and this is the
>>reason why they don't restore more cars.  I'm thinking that it would have
>>been nice to know that before I brought it in.  I don't want to make waves
>>because the work done so far has been really nice, but it is my wifes car
>>and she is starting to get a little frustrated.
>>
>>Should I demand that they finish my car pronto or should I just wait for
>>them?

My car has been in the shop for a year and a half, a whole year overdue.
It's getting new rockers, floors, a couple of quarter panels and misc
other pieces of sheet metal. The body guy (only one man) says he really
likes to do restoration work, but like your shop I think he makes his
money on collision work. I think the best thing to do is get a date in
writing and word it so there is a substantial penalty if late. At any
rate he may claim he found more damage than was originally contracted
for. If you really want the car back soon, you might offer a bonus if
ready by a certain date. (Maybe this is what he is waiting for.)

Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s
rdonahue@holli.com
53 MG-TD under DIY restoration
71 MGB still in shop, 17 months and counting