Re: It's been 30 years since my last LBC...Help!

To: Mark Endicott <endicott@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: It's been 30 years since my last LBC...Help!
From: Ted Schumacher <tedtsimx@mail.bright.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 1997 07:38:48 -0500
Mark Endicott wrote:

> This is my first post on this group and I need a little guidance.  I
> have been looking for a good Midget or Sprite for the last 3 months.  I
> have traveled several hundred miles to look at cars that were not
> exactly as described.  But, at last I think I have found something
> interesting.  The car is a 71 Midget with 24,000 original miles.  The
> car looks perfect except it has a few little things that I don't
> remember on the almost new Sprite that I bought in 63.  This car has
> chrome wire wheels and a lot of chrome on the engine.  It has disk
> brakes and and roll up windows.  The seats are actually, well almost,
> comfortable and ther is no oil under the car.  The floors are not rusty
> and I can't find any bondo.  The only thing that is missing is the
> heater blower.  The car is painted silver/gray, which I don't remember
> as original, but I can't remember what I had for lunch either. It has
> been stored inside a airconditioned warehouse for many years and
> reportedly has been started and run each month and driven at least once
> a year. I know enough to not think of this as transportation, I just
> want a LBC, that will fit in my garage, to shine up and drive to the
> lake every now and then.  The Classic Price guide shows these to be
> worth about $5800 if in very good condition,  this one is and the seller
> wants a little more than stated above.  My head says go for it but my
> alter ego says "is it relally worth that much?"  I have seen lots of
> "fixer uppers" for 1, 2, 3,000, but I really don't have the time to do
> all of this, I recall that I spent plenty of time fixing the "new" one
> that I had 34 years ago.  Any guidance from you more experienced in
> these matters would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Mark
> endicott@bellsouth.net
mark, as someone who makes their living in the brit car business, both
selling parts and cars, this is out of sight.  too many none stantdard
items plus the price alone.  the midget has always been an entry  level
car.  at this price you could get an mgb or a tr6, either of which has
far more value, both now and in the future.  if yo ucanspend this kind
of money, get a better return or i could be adopted.  ted schumacher, ts
imported automotive, pandora, oh 800/543-6648; 419/384-3272 fax.  if you
want to give me a call, we can talk about the car and its value.  i
don't have anything to sell right now so i'm not trying to put you into
one of my cars. thanks, ted