Re: Trunk junk

To: Charlie Frazer <cfrazer@ballmer.uoregon.edu>
Subject: Re: Trunk junk
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 07:48:24 -0800
At 03:47 PM 3/31/97 -0800, you wrote:

>In the trunk (boot) of my '79 roadster there is a soft putty-like
>compound which seals the gap between the floor of the trunk and the rear
>fenders.  This material has lost its adhesive properties and is coming
>loose.
>Does anyone have experience dealing with this stuff?
>It is better to try to glue it back in place using some other type of
>adhesive?
>If so, what?
>Or, is it better to remove and replace it?  If so, with what?  In some
>palces the gap is 1/4" or more, so it's not a matter of simply squeezing
>in a little silicone.
>Many thanks for any suggestions.
>Charlie Frazer

Charlie,

If you go to your local super hardware store or contractor supplier you will
probably be able to find a product called Duct-Seal.  It's a grey putty,
much like plasticine with excellent adhesive and water resistant properties.
It comes in a brick about 10" x 4" x1", should be enough to do a car and a
half. You tear off a chunk, knead it till it becomes soft then form it
around what ever you want to seal up. It holds it's position but won't
harden to a brittle mass.

If you can't find it let me know and I'll see if I can't find more info.

Cheers,

   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
/  (___)---------/ (___)        Vancouver, BC, Canada
 1947 MG-TC 3528                1966 MGB-GT