Re: B Questions

To: The J Clan <megbug@msn.com>
Subject: Re: B Questions
From: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 03:07:22 -0800 (PST)
Hi Kathy!!

On Wed, 2 Apr 1997, The J Clan  wrote:

> When I depress my clutch it feels like metal to metal grinding, it seems to
>do
> it more the more I use the clutch and the warmer the car gets-does this mean

This sure sounds (pun not intended) like a worn out thrust (release)
bearing.  You've worn down the carbon ring, and are now metal to metal.
Commonly caused by not replacing the release bearing when the new clutch
disk is installed (usually to save a buck or two).

> need a new clutch or is it in the hydraulics?  If I need a new clutch which
>is
> the best to buy?

I heard that CenterForce makes a clutch for the "B".  From what I've
been told, they make an excellent product.

> would like to know what else I should replace while I've got it apart.  I am

Make sure you check your disk brake pads for wear.  The "B" doesn't have
those little "squeelers" to tell you you're running out of friction
material.  While you're at it, you might as well check the rear brake
adjusters.  They have a habit of "freezing up"... steel cam in an
aluminium block.  After the rear brakes have been adjusted, check the
handbrake for function and adjustment.  The cables have a corrosion
problem causing the inner cable to "freeze" inside the outer cable if
the hand brake isn't used regularly.

> going to put the V8 bushings in- just not sure what else to check/replace.
> Someone (I can't remember who) said that the spring compressors from VB are
>no
> good-is it just theirs, or spring compressors in general?  I don't know if
>any
> buys from Harbor Freight-I never have-but the have a set for about $10. I
>know
> that you usually get what you pay for so I'm a little leery of these. I
>really
> can't rent them as I'm at least 75 miles from the closest rental place.
>
> Is there anything else I need to do/check while the car is apart to get it
> ready for the great driving weather that's just around the corner?

Of course there is.  Have you forgotten his highness: LUCAS, PRINCE
of DARKNESS?  Check ALL major grounds for corrosion; that means to
take the connection apart, sand the contact areas clean, and coat with
a good anti-corrosive (like "NeverSieze").  DON'T FORGET THE FUEL PUMP
GROUND!!!  Fuel pumps don't like to run on a reduced voltage, they like
a nice big 13.2 volts (alternator charging, minus the slight voltage
drop in the wiring).

TTUL8r, kirk Cowen