Re: Cooling

To: rogersj@worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Cooling
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 11:43:49 EST
John:-

Being a fellow MKII owner, I feel compelled to respond, although I
probably won't help a lot.

I have pretty much the same experience as you.  I will fill up the
radiator after changing the coolant and the car will decide how much it
will keep after a couple of drives.  I find it amusing that it not only
marks its territory by oil drips, but expresses its opinion of my
maintenance efforts by pissing on my foot.

The temperature gauge generally runs between 190 and 195 on normal days,
a little higher on hot days.  It does climb quite a bit when idling or
soon after parking.

I have heard of people that have adapted an overflow tank, but I'm not
sure it's really necessary.  I have had my car in hot Texas for a number
of years and have only had overheating problems when something really
wrong has happened, like a broken water pump or rotted radiator hose.

I'm sure your experience at the video store was because of the angle of
the car.  I think that is probably the only time when an overflow tank
would really come in handy.

David Littlefield
Houston, TX