Re: Whistles on Cars?

To: dfdarby@juno.com (David F. Darby)
Subject: Re: Whistles on Cars?
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 11:26:53 -0500
>On Thu, 3 Apr 1997 01:20:21 -0800 (PST) EMILY COWEN
><ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca> writes:
>>On Wed, 2 Apr 1997, Eddie Sheffield wrote:
>>
>>> I know a popular item where there are a lot of deer are these little
>>> black plastic things that you mount on your front bumper
>
>snip---------------------------

>----------
>Greetings:
>
>Here in the interior highlands of southern Missouri we have a large
>population of whitetail deer. I don't run the whistles, but a number of
>my neighbors do. Since 1985, one feller has killed five deer while
>running whistles and another neighbor has nailed two with his pickup
>truck. I once hit one while running flat out in a VW transporter (no
>whistles) and it is not a pleasant ride.
>
>At any rate, I have heard of other whistle-equipped vehicles tangling
>with local deer and it seems to me that the whistle business really
>isn't too effective.
>
>Whistling in the dark,
>
>David F. Darby

Hi David:

With the end of the Cold War and all, you might contact anyone you know in
the Armed Forces.  Perhaps someone can get a deal on a 37mm cannon.
Mounted under the hood and pre-aimed, it should solve the deer and critter
problem pretty quickly.  Seriously, I use the whistles.  For $5 it's cheap
insurance.  We all know that they don't make us immortal but at least by
using them we have made ourselves aware of the possibility of deer attack
and have adjusted our attitudes.

John