Warm engine, red light, dead alternator

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Warm engine, red light, dead alternator
From: ckr <ragthyme@fls.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 1997 18:51:12 -0500
Friends:

Well, even more revelations.

Disconnecting the alternator turns the red light off. No real surprise,
there ... it likely takes it out of the circuit, so no information is
being passed to the red light for it to ... well, get lit.

Test lead grounded to the body and then touched to the metal prongs of
the alternator yields .... 0. Nothing. Nada. No output on any lead.
Now, am I doing the test wrong, or do I have a dead alternator on my
hands (well, on my car, to be precise)? I'm measuring in the =BE50 V DC
range. I'll try the =BE10V DC range in a few minutes. Maybe it's putting
out a tiny bit that the less sensitive range didn't catch.

Thanks for the suggestion on the laquer remover for the contact cement.
I'll give that a whirl and see what happens.

As per usual, any and all suggestions, regardless of how germane, are
welcome. I'm building a whopper of a tech manual from the responses I've
(and others've) gotten on this list.

Cheers,

Corey
75 MGB 'Rags'