Fwd: Rebuild or buy rebuilt? (engine)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Fwd: Rebuild or buy rebuilt? (engine)
From: RatiganJ@aol.com
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 12:21:29 -0400 (EDT)
---------------------
Forwarded message:
Subj:    Re: Rebuild or buy rebuilt? (engine)
Date:    97-04-06 11:38:18 EDT
From:    RatiganJ
To:      ulix@u.washington.edu

I just had my MGA 1500 engine rebuilt.  I replaced the pistons (I hads engine
bored 0.020), all bearings, cam, lifters, valves, guides, rocker arms, rocker
bushings, rocker shaft, clutch, pressure plate, ring gear, oil pump, oil
gallery plugs, head bolts, nut retainers, and water pump.  I had the engine
line bored, magnafluxed (block, rods, head, crank), one journal of the crank
welded-up and then the crank reground 0.010, engine completely balanced and
assembled by the machinist, new valve seats installed (so I can use unleaded
fuel), ring gear installed, flywheel faced, head ground .  Total
parts...about $1000.  Total machining ... about $800.  It would have cost
more if I had not purchased the parts from George Merryweather
(merryweather@venus.connectware.com), who is a Moss distributor.

Joe Ratigan
58 MGA 1500 Roadster