Re: '78 Midget fuel pump (Long reply)

To: Aron Travis <atravis@spacey.net>
Subject: Re: '78 Midget fuel pump (Long reply)
From: "Vince J. Pujalte" <pujalte@stic.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 1997 01:36:47 -0700
Hi Aron,
  I have a '78 Midget, also.
  The factory pump is a mechanical type.
  You are probably aware that the '78 Midget 1500 engine and drivetrain
  are not MG at all, but Triumph Spitfire pieces.
  You can remove the old mechanical pump and cover the hole with a
  Mr. Gasket brand big-block Chevy fuel-pump block-off plate (~$3).
  No kidding.
  Use Permatex #2 on both sides of the included gasket. Let it get tacky
  before assembly.Use lockwashers to avoid loosening of the cover.

  The mechanical pump has a very narrow arm that rides on an eccentric
  lobe of the cam. This arm looks as though it were designed to cut a
  groove in the cam, and it does :).
  My mechanical fuel pump failed recently. At the behest of Bob Wanta;
  Big-time Spitfire guru, I installed an electric pump. I used a Carter
  brand "pusher-type" electric fuel pump (~$35) in  the arch above the
  rear axle. It puts out between 2-4 lbs of fuel pressure, is very quiet,
  and is designed to be mounted at the fuel tank.
  It is important to keep fuel pressure low in our cars.
  Anything higher than ~2 1/2 lbs will usually flood out the carb.
  I would be surprised if your car will continue to run without flooding
  with the pump so close to the carb. Do you have a fuel-pressure
  regulator between the pump and your carb? Purolator makes one (~$15).
  A regulator was not necessary on mine with the rear-mounted fuel pump.
  You can check for dizzy-wear by trying to move the dizzy (Distributor)
  shaft sideways. This is the shaft that the rotor is on.It shouldn't
  move very much at all. If it chewed on your cap, you will notice more
  than a little side-motion. Perhaps the previous owner installed the
  wrong dizzy-cap, if this all checks out.

  Hope this helps.

God Bless,
-Vince
'78 Midget "Betsy"
San Antonio, Texas

I don't know everything, but I know Someone who does...
                                         -Billy Graham