Re: Thinking in a Vacuum -- the thread lives!

To: boballen@sky.net
Subject: Re: Thinking in a Vacuum -- the thread lives!
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 10:54:20 -0500 (CDT)
Robert Allen writes:

> The vacuum feed for accessories has a one way valve just after the
> manifold inlet.

Damn.  I forgot about that.

> When I said 'maximum available vacuum' the key was 'available'. I
> believe that you'll find the most vacuum the closer you get to the
> intake valves.

I still don't see why this is necessarily true.  Perhaps instantaneous
vacuum levels are higher nearer the valves, but integrating over the
time periods during which vacuum-actuated systems - uh - actuate, I
would think the pressures would reach equilibrium.  Does anybody here
actually know?

> 'Ported vacuum' which I believe is very near (but not
> before) the throttle butterflys will vary according to throttle position

So will manifold vacuum.  Perhaps the average level of vacuum might be
higher nearer the valves, but it still varies according to throttle.

--

Todd Mullins
Todd.Mullins@nrlssc.navy.mil    On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast

'74 MGB Tourer in pieces, like my brain