MGC & Crank Pulley: Greater Specifidity

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: MGC & Crank Pulley: Greater Specifidity
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 00:20:58 +0100
[ Bob Allen slinks back up to podium after most have left the
building... ]

Just to clarify a couple of points:

Point 1:

I said I used 'red' Loctite on the bearing surfaces of the pulley and
'blue' Loctite on the crank nut. As far as I know there are five
different flavors of Loctite (2 reds, a blue, a green, and a purple) but
I only usually see two on the shelf of auto joints.

The common red is 271 which locks studs, bushings, and strengthens slip
fits on bearing surfaces. It ain't ever supposed to come off until you
apply blood, sweat, and 500 degrees of heat. That last requirement will
probably play hell on the rubber in the crank pulley dampner. 'Red'
means the goop is a real pretty, clear red that looks like snow-cone
syrup.

The common blue is 242 and is meant to be a liquid lock washer. That is,
the nut can be loosened aferwards with normal tools (breaker bars
shorter than your arm). 'Blue' means the goop is milky blue in color.

Both are convieniantly packaged in little red tubes of less then 1/4
ounce.

Point 2:

Using a breaker bar and a BFH is generally considered a poor replacement
for a torque wrench. But that's what I used to tighten the crank nut on
the front of the crankshaft. I could have used my big torque wrench
which would have resulted in the following scenario:

Apply prodigious torque to nut while monitoring the measureing beam.
Torque load goes through motor, through fourth gear in tranny, through
the differential, overpowers the parking brakes for the rear axle, the
rear tires begin to rotate, the car teeters off the floor jacks and
drops the car on my chest. I could have had the SO in the cockpit
mashing the brakes but that would have just added to the weight of the
spoiler hittin my chest.

My alternative was to use a big hammer and fairly light taps. The nut
size is one and 11/16ths and the threaded crank snout measures a few
RCHs over 7/8's. I wasn't too worried about snapping something off.

(RCH? I've always pictured the original Whitworth as a red-haird Irish
lass named Wanda).

Covered that...
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT ready to roll.