Re: Timing problem?

To: 246084@ibmmail.com
Subject: Re: Timing problem?
From: Craig Wiper <craigw@sonic.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 18:14:12 -0700
At 05:44 AM 4/15/97 EDT, you wrote:

>I have a problem with my 71 BGT.
>
>When I drive to work in the morning if I pull up to lights then the
>ignition light comes on, the revs drop to around 500 (sometimes is stalls
>at this point) - if it doesn't stall, it then comes back up to 950 and is
>fine.
>
>It was pinking slightly the other day so I retarded the timing slightly.
>
>Only being a learner on all this, should I advance the timing again?  Any
>other suggestions?

Make sure you don't have any leaks around your carburettor manifold. I set
the timing of my '74B as such:

points: .014 gap

plugs: .032 gap

dynamic timing: 19 degrees BTDC

valves: .013 gap hot

carbs: adjusted to best running condition; lifting the piston w/lifting pin
will make engine start to stall after a couple of seconds on either carb

With this setup, I have more power than either of my other cars (Mazda
B2000 and Toyota Camry 4 cyl.)at any speed and I never experience pinking
at any speed in any gear. Also, try using nothing but good quality Supreme
fuel at all times. My idle is adjusted to about 1000-1200 rpm when warm.
Hope this helps. Good luck,

Craig Wiper
craigw@sonic.net
http://www.sonic.net/~craigw