Re: FW: '74 MGB

To: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: FW: '74 MGB
From: Aron Travis <atravis@spacey.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 12:23:53 -0700
Mark J Bradakis wrote:
> What are reasonable things to do to the engine from a performance/reliability/
> durability standpoint -- the car will be driven daily. . .

1. Have it balanced.
2. If you have a die grinder, or can borrow one, you can remove any warts
or casting flash in the engine for better oil flow and to reduce stress
risers. Be careful though, It's easy to get out of control.
3. All new hardware, especially rod and main cap bolts.
4. I always put my name on the engine in a rather inaccessable place.
Somewhere no one will look, yet you can easily point out to the police
if the car is stolen, or stripped. I use one of those rotary scribe type
of things. Plus I write 'Rblt' with the date.
5. If you're feeling realy motovated, you can cc the head. I think it's
worth while, as the engine is smoother, the compression ratio more
consistant, and is something you can do if you take the time to pay
attention to it. It's suprising the variences in combustion chamber
volume, even with machined heads.
6. Make sure all seals and gaskets are installed as best as they can be.
You can really make a difference down the road if you use good gaskets
and the right sealers. All engines can be very oil tight for a long time.
This will keep the engine cleaner on the inside, and you cleaner on the
outside.
-Aron Travis-
"always in a automotive frenzy"
ASE certified engine machinist-cylinder heads.

P.S. Having said all that, let me admit that I have never rebuilt a
MGB engine, though lots of American and German ones!