Re: needed part

To: gaither@ix18.ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: needed part
From: britcars@juno.com
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 15:09:23 EDT
On Thu, 17 Apr 97 14:24:43 -0700 Douglas Gaither
<gaither@ix18.ix.netcom.com> writes:
>Hello,
>
>I have a 1966 MBG and I need help to make my B roadworthy.  I need
>some
>advice.
>

>COIL BRACKET
>------------
>I'm looking for an early style coil mounting bracket.  The one that
>attaches to the motor mount.  They are not available from Vicky Brit
>or
>Moss.  Does anyone out there have one they are willing to sell?

Yes, we have a couple. $10 plus CA tax & shipping puts one in your hands.

>OIL COOLER
>-----------
>My car did not have an oil cooler (although the plumbing was there)
>when
>I bought it.  I live in Fresno where summer temps rise to 105 degrees
>for
>weeks.  I've had someone tell me that I really didn't need one
>although
>I'm skeptical.  I need maximum cooling.  Any recommendations on which
>oil
>cooler to buy?

We'd recommend one for your climate. The 13-row works fine, the 16-row
even better.

Are braided hoses not really necessary but just cool looking?

Yes.

>MASTER CYLINDERS
>-----------------
>Both of mine are pitted and I'm told they can't be honed.

They can be re-sleeved and re-kitted for less than the cost of a new one.

> Are there different manufacturers of these or do the parts houses sell
the same
>reproduction unit?

All from the same source, as far as we have seen.

>Are used units worth the risk of imminent failure?

Why would a 30-year old part from another car be in any better condition
than the one on your car - unless it's been rebuilt by someone who knows
what they are doing?

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center
Cameron Park, CA