Baptism by fire is a success

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Baptism by fire is a success
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 04:45:50 EDT
MG 58 is alive and well.

I got the correct oil filter installed at 3:00 pm Friday and fired up the
new engine after only 24 hours out of service.  A 20 minute warm up and
re-torque of the cylinder head was promptly followed by the traditional
one mile around the block test run, and I was off to Minneapolis for two
days of autocross fun.  Break in time for this one was 30 minutes and two
miles.  Ask me later how I managed that little wonder.

With two miles on the new engine we hit the entrance ramp at a gallop,
6000 rpm as free as a breeze.  Set the cruise control for 4100 RPM (you
figure it out), feeling real good, only stopped once by Wisconsin's
finest for a "How ya doin?  Nice car.  Take it easy.  Have a nice day.",
and I was sacked out in a motel in Shakopee, MN by midnight.

Oh yeah, there was just one little problem.  Blew the water out at 50
miles and again at 90 miles before I figured out the used heater valve
that came with the cylinder head had blown its outer seal.  The weather
was cool, no threat of boiling, so I left the pressure cap loose and all
was well.  Next morning I plugged one heater hose and closed the valve
and no more lost water for the rest of the weekend.  Tomorrow I transfer
the valve from the old engine and unplug the hose.

I spent nearly all day Saturday teaching and training, got to drive a few
other cars (mostly unmentionable here), and in general had a ton of
autocross fun without competing.  We had nearly 80 drivers (I think),
mostly novice students.  I did get in a few runs of my own at the end of
the day.  First run, broke a wire off the fuel pump and coasted across
the finish line.  Second run, looped it at the turn-around.  Third run,
looped it after the finish but it was still legal, fast and fun.  Given
that I had nothing else to do for the evening and didn't have to yank the
race tires, I volunteered to lay out the course for Sunday's competition.
 Then it was off to Turtles B&G for pizza and whatever.

Sunday morning logged in 122 drivers, Aside from a few timer failures,
all went well, everyone got four official runs, followed by 40 minutes of
fun runs.  I did OK, my best run of the day matched within 1/2 second the
fastest car in every stock class, except one.  Somewhere out of the blue
there came an H-Stock Audi to take fastest time of day for all Stock
class cars by more than a one second margin.  That's OK too.  I don't
mind when the only car to beat my index time is the FTDI car.  After
packing it in it was off to Turtles again for Pizza and BS before heading
home, in the garage at 2:35 am.

Great way to spend a weekend, 923 miles, what a hoot.  New engine is
ready for Alaska.  Nice test run

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude