Ignition light on at idle?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Ignition light on at idle?
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 23:33:44 +0000
I have a question about the ignition light on my '72 tourer, and
wanted to ask around to see what was "normal".
    I have my idle set about 975 or 1000 when warm, and when I pull
up to a light, the ignition light will flicker on, and then stay on.
When I pull away, the light goes out and all is well.  The owner's
manual says that the ignition light should be off at all speeds ABOVE
NORMAL IDLE (emphasis mine).  I take this to mean that my condition
is normal, but wanted to check.  I have no problems keeping the
battery charged, but I think the alternator belt may be a little
loose.
    BTW, does anybody know of a 12V battery that will fit in the
small 6V wells in the early B's, that has both side- and top- mount
fastenings?  I want to put in a second battery in parallel, and the
job would be much easier if I could connect the two batteries
together using the side-mount posts, and then connect the
passenger-side battery to the car's electrical system with the cables
that are in there now.
Thanks much,
Scott Gardner
gardner@lwcomm.com