Re: Lost Smoke

To: Dennis & Stephanie Littrell <dlittrel@northernnet.com>
Subject: Re: Lost Smoke
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 12:38:20 -0500
I'd guess it either needs new batteries or battery cables depending upon
where you are jump starting it from. It you are hooking up the jumper
cables directly to the starter under the hood (bonnet) then I'd say the
battery cables are suspect. If your jumping it from the battery box
behind the seat I think it's time to invest in new batteries.

The only iffy is how clean the battery connections are. You might try
removeing the cables, doing a little wire brush work (there are cheap
tools for this purpose) and then bolting everything back up is about
your last, best chance. Don't forget to take a good look at both ends of
the ground strap.

Perfectly crappy batteries can have 13.5 volts and no amps. The good
news on batteries is that you can toss the 6-volts, do some minor
rewiring, and get by with a single 12-volt. Make sure the dynamo is
humming the right voltage, too, of course.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6