Re: XPAG Front seal

To: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Subject: Re: XPAG Front seal
From: The English Connection <engconn@pottsville.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 10:00:05 -0400
RNasty and annoying leak from the front oil seal on the XPAG.  This is
the

> perfect time (I think) to replace it.  Is there a modern rubber lip
> seal
> that will easily replace the rope? Anyone got a number?  I have
> access to a
> good source of National seals so a National number or x-ref would be
> a great
> help.   Any advice on this from the experts?  How big a job will it
> be with
> the motor in the car?  The bonnet, grill, manifolds, rad and a whole
> bunch
> of other thingy-doos are no longer where Cecil intended.
>
> TIA & Cheers,
>    ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
>   / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
> /  (___)---------/ (___)        Vancouver, BC, Canada
>  1947 MG-TC 3528                1966 MGB-GT

  Hello Ross:

Moss supply a modern lip seal which does a very good job, but I don't
know the cross reference number.  The seal impinges on the shaft part of
the front pulley when installed, as does the original rope type.
Sometimes you will find the pulley's shaft is cracked, usually around
the Woodruff key way and that will enable oil to creep through, even the
lip seal.

I have no experience of installing this replacement seal while the motor
is still in the car, usually having done it only at times when
completing a total rebuild for a customer. The method I use is to slip
the seal over the crankshaft when fitting it to the block's bearings,
and allowing the crankshaft to 'push' the seal into the semicircular
groove cast into the aluminium timing chain cover, which I have
partially filled with Blue gasket goo.  The sump pan is similarly
treated, then bolted into place, slighty squashing the seal between the
two parts, resulting in an oil tight fitment.

The shaft of the pulley must be free from defects and smooth to ensure
an oil tight surface/lip seal contact, and I have found it advantageous
to smear the pulley with grease prior to fitting it onto the end of the
crankshaft.  This will prevent friction from damaging the fine edge of
the lip upon initial start up.

I think the seal could be fitted while the crank and sump are still in
place, especially as the internal measurement of the seal is greater
than the crankshaft, allowing a bit of 'wriggle room'. Make sure the
grove is free from oil contamination before applying the Bloo Goo.

Geoff Love.