Collector Car Insurance

To: diy_efi@coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu, british-cars-pre-war@Autox.Team.Net,
Subject: Collector Car Insurance
From: Aron Travis <atravis@spacey.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 22:41:59 -0700
I have been shopping around for 'collector car' insurance and thought
I would share my findings with all you car nuts.
I can no longer afford State Farm for my fleet, so I called most of the
specialty car insurers.
These are only my opinions, I have no interest in any of these companys
other than getting insured, your results may vary, it's not my fault,
usual disclaimers, blah, etc. I am sharing my experiences as my right
to free speech here in Ammuuurica. Thank you very much.

J.C.Taylor- They wanted me to have insurance on each of the cars first,
        then transfer to J.C.Taylor. I just bought two MG Midgets, if
        I have to insure them with another company first I might as well
        keep the first company anyway. Something to do with the Florida
        laws. Person I talked to seemed rushed and didn't answer all
        my questions.

Grundy- They will only insure if I insure ALL my cars with them. I want
        to keep my daily driver with State Farm for convenience, plus
        my wifes '84 Audi would be absurd to get collector insurance for.
        Person I talked to kept putting me on hold while she figured out
        basic questions like 'do I get multicar discount?'. She was very
        accusitory about weather my cars were really in a locked garage.

Hagerty- Friendly, knowlegeable (knew a Galaxie was a Ford), gave me a
        good quote. Said mileage limits were around 2500-3000 per year
        but could be flexible if I could prove I went over 3000 for long
        distance shows,etc. Answered all my questions. But they can't
        insure my '78 Midget as it's not a classic yet, but no problem
        with the '72 Midget.

Tri-State Insurance Co of MN- They are not licenced to insure in Florida.
                                So that's that.

Condon&Skelly- The woman I spoke to had a one way conversation with me,
                she wouldn't listen to me at all. I started to list the
                cars I had but she cut me off after the first one and
                gave me a quote on that one. When I mentioned later that
                I wanted to insure more than one car she said "So NOW
                you tell me you have more cars?!, When were you going to
                tell me about the other cars?!". Through this whole
                process, where she would ask questions over and over,
                not listening to my answers, I was put on hold quite a
                few times. Also the most expensive of the bunch.
                Repeatedly confused MG Midget with MGB. Wanted four
                pictures of each car.

Basically I have five cars, one of which is a daily driver. The questions
I asked were, "Do I get a multicar discount?", "Any special rules for
Florida?", "Milage limits?", "What about if the car is damaged at a
body shop,etc?"
All of the insurers gave a multicar discount, some had special rules
for Florida (like can't live on an island or flood zone), all milage
limits were around 3000 per year, and if damaged at the body shop it's
the body shops problem. Some were concerned with engine mods and wanted
a picture of the engine too.
I might try to soften up State Farm to cut my rates somehow, as I'm
disappionted with my results. Hagerty may get my business otherwise....

-Aron Travis-
"always in a automotive frenzy"