Battery for my early B (Longwinded)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Battery for my early B (Longwinded)
From: william_hayes@icpphil.navy.mil
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 13:06:43 -0400
Thanks to everyone who responded with battery advice. I bought this '62B
which was said to be in a barn since the mid 60s. Very original with 36000
miles. One battery was missing, as the bottom of the battery frame was
pulled off as the car was removed from hibernation, along with the muffler.
The other battery was early sixties vintage and could be the original that
came with the car. Obviously I couldn't hear the car run, it hasn't run in
30 years. It was also missing the ignition key. I got a key made at a local
locksmith who still had the MG codes, and put in the new bin with the Exide
650 I got at KMart. It is a beautiful battery, with a built in retractable
carry handle in the top which allows for easier battery removal from the
bin, as it's a tight fit. I put in a new ground (remembered it was
positive) and a new connector on the negative line.

I was happily suprised that the headlights, hi and lo beam, taillights,
license plate lights and radio worked immediately. I don't plan on turning
the engine over until I verify oil delivery, clean carbs, fuel pump,
distributor, etc.

The gentleman that bought the '62 Sprite that was in the barn with the B
has already gotten it running and says it's the best running Sprite he's
heard. I'm hopeful mine will run. I just wonder why it was parked. The fact
that it had it's original jack, battery, license plate, tonneaus, wide
whitewall Dunlop spare and all tells me it must have meant something to the
owner, whose death necessitated the sale. Maybe he was like I used to be
when I lived on the farm: Keep buying good deal cars and put them in the
barn until I get around to restoring them. When I was 16 I had a Model A,
47 Chevy pickup, 51 Mercury, 64 Buick, 65 Plymouth and 69 Bug, all that
ran, but could have used work. My sister didn't understand, but she'd
always be there when she wanted a ride to school even though she'd scrunch
down so her friends wouldn't see her in my cars.

Anyway, some people might question as to why I bought a car without
verifying it could run. I think the early chassis, #472, original
condition, and lack of body rust/damage made it a deal I couldn't refuse,
so I didn't.

Sorry to ramble on...

Bill

62MGB