O/D Low Pressure Valve Variation, and other O/D, Questions

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: O/D Low Pressure Valve Variation, and other O/D, Questions
From: Michael McDevitt <mmcdevit@twdb.state.tx.us>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 20:17:05 -0500
I have decided to replace the assorted rubber o-rings in the '77 O/D
transmission that I have.  The transmission currently uninstalled.
According to the salvage yard that I bought it from,  the O/D works.  The
o-ring replacement is being done as a part of preventive maintenance
while the transmission is out of the car.
Upon opening up the low pressure valve, I discovered that the guts did
not match the schematic in either the Haynes or Bently manuals.  It did
contain the valve plunger, valve body and filter, and the low pressure
valve body and washer(s).  It does not have the relief valve spring, low
pressure relief plug, spring and ball.  Instead it has a much larger, 2-inch
long spring that seems to push against the valve body.  Additionally,
there is a thin, perforated metal tube that sleeves this large spring.
Has anyone seen this type of set up in other MG O/D units, or has this
one been messed with?  Note that this unit shows some signs (charred
wires) of having over- heated the wires from the switch on the gear
shift.  Hopefully, this is not a sign that someone botched a prior repair
attempt on the O/D unit.  Actually, if someone has seen the charred wire
phenomena before,  I would like to know if it means that there is some
problem like a cooked solenoid coil.
Also, if anyone has some suggestions as to other preventive
maintenance items, short of a complete tear-down, that should be done
to the transmission while it is out, I would like to know.
Finally, what works for removing the pump plug, other then the special
tool called for in the shop manuals?

Thanks,
Mike McDevitt