Using overdrive

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Using overdrive
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 15:13:08 -0500
Hello List:

I finally got busy and dug out an old copy of the "MGB Driver's Handbook"
dated 1967.  I knew that I had read somewhere that the clutch is not
necessary to allow an O/D shift to take place.  I will quote from the
"Bible", p. 30

"Overdrive (optional)

The overdrive can be engaged at any speed within the third or fourth gear
range at any throttle opening between light and full throttle.  DO NOT
depress the clutch pedal to select 'overdrive' or 'normal'."

Note that the words DO NOT are printed in bold face type.

There is no other explanation as to the reason for forbidding the use of
the clutch.

John McEwen