Re: SMOG Check II: A knife in the back

To: <MGS%AUTOX.TEAM.NET@mvdns1.mv.Unisys.COM>
Subject: Re: SMOG Check II: A knife in the back
From: PHILIPPE TUSLER <TUSLER@mp050.mv.unisys.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 13:18:28 -0700 (PDT) (20:18 UT)
After the smog failure, I quizzed the mechanic behind the counter about
what I might try.  "I dunno.  Could be anything.  Carburetors are bad."
I replied that I could understand the Hydrocarbons being affected by
bad carburation, but I didn't know what might cause my Carbon Monoxide
emissions to go up so dramatically. His reply, obviously very rehearsed,
"Well as carburators wear out they can no longer maintain the
stoichiometric ratio of fourteen to seven.  Without a ratio of fourteen
to seven, your emissions are going to go up."
I almost burst out laughing. I refrained from asking him to spell
"Stoichiometric," much less define it.  I did ask him "What ratio is
that?"  After some thought, he replied as though taking a verbal quiz:
"Uh, fuel to air?"
Great.  And these are the people that are failing my car.

 On a brighter side, I saw a very nice rubber-bumpered brown MGB, license
"TVOR 1".  It pulled into a side street right by where I work.  Anyone
claim knowledge of 'TVOR 1'?

*Philippe Tusler - Mission Viejo, CA     | "MILOU"    '57 MGA Roadster *
*A-Mail:   <TUSLER@MP050>                | "TINTIN"   '66 MG/MGB-GT    *
*InterNet: TUSLER@MP050.MV.unisys.com    | "N/A"      '88 ISUZU Trooper*