Re:

To: marundel@ozemail.com.au, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re:
From: "Jerry Causey" <reecau@whidbey.com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 20:38:02 +0800
> . . . Am contemplating fitting negative
> camber lower control arms.  Would be interested to hear from anyone with
> expirience of these.  My concerns are A) Does steering get heavier and B) Is
> there any disernable effect on tyre wear.  The Yokis are great tyres for
> grip but dont wear too well as it is and cost a bomb out here to buy.

Murray:

I have an adjustable front suspension fitted to my '67 GT with stock springs
and sway bar. I'm running 195/60 HR 14 street radials on 5.5 x 15 alloy wheels
at 32 PSI all around. My front suspension is set to .50 degree negative
camber, 5.0 degrees positive castor, and 1/16 inch toe-in, or at least that's
what I asked for. I suspect the camber is a bit more, perhaps 1 degree
negative, since it's fairly obvious just looking at it from the front of the
car. I've never driven my car without this suspension, so I don't know if it
steers heavily or not. I think the wider tires might have more effect than the
negative camber, but at any rate, it isn't a problem. I can spin the steering
wheel from lock to lock at a stand still without any major effort. My tire wear
has been symmetrical across the tread, just a bit scuffed on the outside edge.
I measure the tread depth every 3000 miles or so. With a V-8 I would be more
concerned with melting down the rear tires. Maybe next year!

Regards,
Jerry Causey - 1967 MGB GT
Whidbey Island, Washington, embraced by the Puget Sound
(fairly close to Seattle, and the rest of the USA)