Re: front wheel bearings (MBG GT)

To: Stefanie Davis <stefanie@bpe.com>
Subject: Re: front wheel bearings (MBG GT)
From: Gary Burrell <garyb@pentek.com>
Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 09:53:59 -0400
Stefanie Davis wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I seem to be having a bit of a problem removing the front wheel bearings
> from the hub.  I was at the tool store today and noticed a "cone" wheel
> bearing something or other...I, of course didn't buy it (doh!!).  Anyhoo,
> the inner bearing is out, but the spacer, outer bearing and oil seal/collar
> are still in place.  I have all new bearings (and seals) to replace these
> (you should see how gross the old ones are), but can't get them out of the
> hub.
>
> any ideas/insight?
>
> stef
> (4 days until my birthday) :-)
Stef,

You and try using a punch and hammer to drive the bearing race out of
the
hub, but you have to be careful not to damage the hub.  To replace the
race
you drive it in.  There is a tool available for doing the job, and IMHO
is much better than using a punch to drive it in as it drives it square,
and avoids dammaging the face of the race.  It would be very easy to
slip
with a punch and if you damage the face of the race then your new
bearings
won't last long.

Good luck

Gary

P.S. Happy Birthday.  I hope you get lots of MG parts :)

--
Gary Burrell
Design Engineer