Valve clatter on '70 MGB

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Valve clatter on '70 MGB
From: mhartwig@odin.cbu.edu (Michael Hartwig)
Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 14:21:44 -0600
I'm having a lot of valve clatter from my MGB.  It's also burning a lot
of oil(1 quart in 250 miles).  I've checked the compression and the
cylinders average around 125 psi, and jump up to 150-160 when I pour some
oil into the cylinder.  Cylinder 2's compression is only coming up to 135
after adding oil.  Is this where my valve noise is coming from?  I've
checked my valves and they measure around .0155 cold for clearance so I
know they are not loose.  I'm waiting for my Summit Racing catalog so I
can buy the leak down compression tester, but I'm still trying to
diagnose.

Essentially, I'm trying to diagnose why my car is losing or burning so
much oil and why I have such valve noise during acceleration and higher
rpms.  Please someone, lead in the right direction here cause I'm kinda
over my head.

Secondly, my Bentley manual for my '78 MG is not really thorough when it
comes to troubleshooting.  I'm about to buy a new Bentley for my '70 B,
but I'd also like to get another good manual to supplement.  Any
suggestions??

Thanks for your time greatly
Jay

BTW, I a fellow in a Triumph waved at earlier today me and I felt bad
cause I had the top up and it's 70 degrees outside.
--
Michael Hartwig
CBU