Re: WOOF!

To: simon@hpi50.dsddhc.com
Subject: Re: WOOF!
From: GOFASTMG@aol.com
Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 17:08:29 -0400 (EDT)

<< Dunno about the jet-into-MG, but I once saw the Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud
 > that some nut had put a Rolls-Royce Merlin in (World War II-vintage
27-liter
 > V-12 airplane engine that powered Spitfires, Mustangs, etc.).  Apparently
 > would run great for about 3 minutes until it overheated (couldn't move air
 > through the radiator fast enough -- any surprise?).  Guy must have had a
lot
 > of spare time on his hands. >>
  Several years ago (more than I'll admit to knowing about), in the heyday of
exhibition drag racing, a gentleman shoe-horned a Merlin engine into a 1958
Plymouth 4 door sedan. It used a tug-boat clutch and a cut-down Mack rear
axle. The engine took up so much room, he drove it from the back seat.  Made
all kinds of great noise and massive amounts of smoke from the rear tires on
his trip down the asphalt aisle.
  He was also the first person to mount a 327 inch Corvette engine sideways
on a Harley frame. Direct drive from the clutch and smoked the rear tire for
the full 1/4 mile.
 For some reason, he was known as the "Michigan Madman"

Obligitory LBC Content:
  A couple of years ago I say in (I believe) Safety Fast (Magizine of the MG
Car Club) a picture of the engine bay of an MGB that contained a V-12 Jag.
engine. If it wan't a jet, it probably was damn close.

Rick