MGB Brake Light

To: MG Car List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: MGB Brake Light
From: John Moonan <jmoonan@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 00:08:35 -0400
I have a 77 MGB and have a question about the brake light on the dash.
The problem is that it stays on all the time.  It is on as soon as you
start the car and never goes off.

I assume that this light is supposed to indicate when the hand brake is
on or if there is a failure in the service brakes.

I bought this car about 6 months ago and the PO said that the light had
been on since he had the brakes overhauled.  Only problems I've noticed
are: 1) a sligh spongyness in the service brakes and 2) occassionaly, if
you depress the brake pedal very slowly, it will go to the floor but
under normal operation it works fine.  The first indicates the brakes
need to be bled and the second, I think, is that the master cylinder
piston is a loose fit but expands under pressure.

Any thoughts on this?  Does this light need to be reset?

Please reply directly to me as I only get the digest version.
--

THANX,  JFM