Re: Out of ideas...

To: keithw@sand.net
Subject: Re: Out of ideas...
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 02:03:50 EDT
On Sun, 4 May 97 20:01:15 PDT keithw@sand.net writes:

> ..... The problem:  uneven running/misfiring/loading under acceleration
(accentuated under *heavy* acceleration) accompanied with some coughing
back through carb while crusing.  Problem hits primarily above 3000 RPM.
The misfiring feels like fuel starvation.  Plugs look on the whiter side
of tan.  Plugs/exhaust smell fine, no hint of over rich mixture or that
"hot" smell of a lean one.

>I'm out of ideas.  This started after fueling up on a less than 1/8 tank
full.  On leaving the station I noticed a bloke with a big dipstick
checking the fuel level in their tanks. .....

Sounds like a classic case of water in the gas.  Been there.   Excess
water that cannot be absorbed by the fuel settles at the bottom of the
tank where it gets sucked up first.  If you have a drain plug in your
fuel tank, start by draining out about one quart of gas.  That should get
out most of the water.  Then dump in two bottles of gas line dryer
(anti-freeze) of your favorite brand to absorb any remaining water.
Shake the car to slosh the fuel and mix the stuff.

If the car starts and runs well enough to drive, drive it about 10 miles
to clear the watered gas from the fuel lines and float chamber.  You may
have to choke it some to keep it running.  If it doesn't start you need
to remove the watered fuel from the carb (suction ball works nice).  Also
purge the fuel pump and lines.  Remove the fuel line from the carb and
run the fuel pump to remove at least one pint of fuel from the lines.
Reconnect the fuel line and try it again.

Sometimes the water can be quite persistent.  If so, run the tank down
near empty, add 5 gallons of fuel and another bottle of Heet (dryer).  If
necessary, repeat a couple more times.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA, watered more than once