Re: Snapped a Thermostat housing stud....

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Snapped a Thermostat housing stud....
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 06 May 1997 09:37:09 -0500
In <970505214821_1007292621@emout11.mail.aol.com>, BDurgin1@aol.com wrote:
>Ugh!
>
>Just snapped a thermostat housing stud. This is a 33 year old head.  What is
>the recommended procedure to remove the stud ?  If it snaps off at the base,
>how deep should I drill it out?

These usually go into holes that are not blind in that they open into
the water jacket, but one can easily feel under the cast boss to see.

The most reliable (but tricky) procedure is to file the top of the
stud off flat so that you can see exactly what the borders are, then
_carefully_ punch a center.  Note that the top of the stud can be
deceiving with respect to center location because of the threading.  I
use the geometry of the hole as well to estimate the center.  Once
this is done, drill a fairly small hole (say 1/8") as deep as you want
to go, then follow up with progressively larger drills as far as you
dare.

Easi-outs break.  They are very hard, but very brittle, and require a
good deal of care in their use.  I hve found that the best tool for
stud removal (of small ones, at any rate) is a square (or rectangular)
cross-section concrete nail.  Sharpen the edges up on a grinder, bang
it in and twist away.  It is unlikely to break (see "Easi-out").

                Good luck!              A. B. Bonds