Re: "beaters"

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: "beaters"
From: Kelvin Dodd <kdodd@West.net>
Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 12:06:58 -0700
Michael:
        The servo system will not clear the twin HIF carb system you
probably have on the 74 R.B B.  You can get by with skinny pancake
filters, but I do not recommend it.  (I'm working on finding K&N filters
for this application, more to come).  The servo assembly will bolt into
the car, and can be made to work, but I do question the need.  The
earlier system does work well without any major problems.  The servo
system will reduce pedal pressure somewhat, but the difference is not
great.  The whole pedal box assembly must be exchanged and brake lines
must be replaced and rerouted, not the easiest job.  This is not
something I would attempt to save a couple of bucks in rebuild costs.  I
am still unsure which way I want to go on my V8 project.  The body tub
is 77 and I have all the bits to do servo, but I like the compactness of
the earlier system.  Does anyone have any strong opinions one way or the
other?  I was planning on the servo until I saw the number of problems
coming in with servo failure.  One more thing to go wrong in my book.

Input??

Kelvin.
65 MGB single line, uses Chevy Pick Ups as catch fences
65 MGB Sebring Replica single line (mandated to go to dual)
68 MGB GT V6 dual line
73 MGB GT dual line
77 MGB V8??????
58 Magnette wing and a prayer
66 Land Rover 88  large rock
66 Jaguar 3.8S  contact the bank manager
66 Triumph Tiger blocks of wood