Unobtainable MGB parts?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Unobtainable MGB parts?
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 22:44:27 +0000
Has anyone else ever wondered how the powers-that-be decide which MG
parts to manufacture out of unobtainium?  The steering wheel cowl,
for example, or the ignition lock, or the wiper stalk for a '72?  It
seems kind of arbitrary, especially in light of all the weird little
pieces that you CAN get.
BTW, has anyone ever bought those $20 one-piece repro taillights?
I currently have one original Lucas amber and one original Lucas red
on my car, (Original Lucas, but not original to MY car, I guess.) and
would like to know if the repros are a close enough match that I
could just buy one of them so both of my taillights would be the same
colour.  Considering the $80 price difference between the one-piece
repros and the originals, I'm very interested.

Scott Gardner
gardner@lwcomm.com
www.lwcomm.com/~gardner