MGA takes 2nd in E-Prepared class in Peoria

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGA takes 2nd in E-Prepared class in Peoria
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 01:12:19 EDT
And HOW did I get into E-Prepared class?  Some picky tech inspector saw
one 12 volt battery instead of two 6 volt batteries and started reading
the fine print in the rule book.  I won't quote it verbatim, but it
basically says I have to have two 6-volt batteries in the original
locations to run in Stock or Street Prepared class.  Probably has
something to do with weight reduction or relocation.

I'm not in this for money, or for the trophies, just for the fun of
thrashing my beast in good company, so what do I care what class they
want to put me in?  If I am to be bumped into some class where the car is
not competitive anyway, I suggested maybe D-modified, where I can run
against the open wheeled Formula-V's.  You won't believe the response I
got.  "No, we can't do that.  You might win.  We'll figure out which
Prepared class you belong in."

I wasn't paying any attention to what class I was in, or who else was in
the same class, just having fun in the sun (and the rain).  But by day's
end I must have beaten at least one other car in E-Prepared, because I
got a nice trophy for second place.  And I was just checking the index
factors for H-stock and E-Prepared classes.  I ran a 71 second lap, and
the indexes are a little more than 10% apart, so E-prepared should be
more than 7 seconds faster than H-Stock.  Damn!  Must have been a good
day.

Oh!  And I know what to do next time I race in Peoria.  The rule book
doesn't say anything about the size of the batteries, so I think a pair
of really tiny 6 volt motorcycle batteries would be appropriate.  I can
push start it if I have to.

Barney Gaylord -- Naperville, Illinois
1958 MGA with an attitude